December Reading Wrap Up – Cyn’s Workshop

Hey there, everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and new year! So, I was barely able to meet my final goal, but thankfully, I was able to surpass my yearly goal. So, check all the books I managed to read in December. Cheers to a new year!

Anyway, how did everyone else do this past month? Meet any personal goals?

The Invocations

One of the first books I read this month. I don’t know what I expected when I picked up this book. I have read Sutherland’s other book, House of Hollow, so I am used to her storytelling, but the story caught me off guard. I liked it; it was dark and thrilling, but honestly, I’m still unsure how I feel about this book.


























Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

A Study in Drowning

This was a pleasant surprise. I read Juniper and Thorn by Ried and liked this novel much more. Reid’s storytelling is a little dry, but it almost feels ethereal at times. I can tell this is the same author; she has a distinct tone and atmosphere, which I like. This story was thoughtful.


























Rating: 4 out of 5.

A Far Wilder Magic

I quite liked this book. I love the dynamics between Margaret and Weston. She’s so prickly, but not in an unlikable way. She’s had it hard, with her mother often abandoning her for her alchemist work in a town that mostly shuns her because she has mixed blood. So, I like how Weston treats her with respect and brings out a lighter side to her. They bring the story to life.


























Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

A Drop of Venom

What a fantastic novel. This is a spin on the tale of Medusa. I love the way the story builds, and the plot thickens. I also love how Patel addresses issues such as rape without being explicit. Who are the monsters here? It is such a thoughtful narrative and story. I loved it and can’t wait to read more from this author.


























Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

Four Found Dead

I really couldn’t understand the plot of this novel. So, you’ve got six kids closing the movie theater in an abandoned mall for the last time. Their manager begins hunting them. It doesn’t make sense. Why is he hunting them? Why did the author have to tell us at the beginning what was happening? I wanted more tension, but I should have spent my time reading something better.


























Rating: 1.5 out of 5.

Lore of the Wilds

Okay, I got to page 140 before I decided I couldn’t with this novel. It had everything I wanted to read: a magical library and fantasy. But Lore lacks any real personality; it felt like ACOTAR fan fiction, except not well-done fan fiction. Also, for the first 128 pages, NOTHING happens. Nothing. There are some weird things in the library, but for the most part, we follow Lore as she catalogs and organizes it. It was so dull I couldn’t bring myself to read anymore.

DNF

Our Divine Mischief

This was a cute novel. I loved the pacing and Hew and Orail’s perspectives. Aila grew on me, but Hew was the saving grace for me. And Orail, I loved that dog. Going between these three perspectives gave the story a heart and layers. It was a fantastic, quick read.


























Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

Masters of Death

I had to see all the hype for Olivie Blake. And I get it. I loved this book. I loved the cast of characters, the whimsical feel, and the level of depth that went into the story. I love how it also feels like Good Omens. It has a beautiful tone, great pacing, fun characters, and humor, both dry and dark. Honestly, this was such a fun and excellent book.


























Rating: 4 out of 5.

Unholy Terrors

This was an interesting read. It was a quick read; the slow-burn forbidden romance between Everline and Ravel was well done. The atmosphere and the fast pace of the story kept it engaging. There was plot twist after plot twist that kept me on my toes.


























Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

Emily Wilde’s Encyclopaedia of Faeries

Emily Wilde’s Encyclopaedia of Faeries is such a cozy fantasy. I love this emergence of cozy fantasies making a name for themselves. It is such a fun sub-genre. The writing is a little dry, but it is atmospheric. Sometimes, I felt as though I was transported into her world as if I could feel the chill in the air. Emily is a prickly academic who often reminds me of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory and then you have Wendell. I love their dynamic and how he challenges and charms her (almost.)


























Rating: 4 out of 5.

The Bad Ones

Melissa Albert is such a talented author. I love the way the story is dark and atmospheric. Albert always reminds me of the Brothers Grimm with her storytelling. This story was unpredictable, keeping me on my toes. It was eerie and mysterious.


























Rating: 4 out of 5.

Don’t forget to follow Cyn’s Workshop on Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Spotify | YouTube | BookBub | Goodreads | LinkedIn to stay tuned for more like this.

Become a Supporter

Buy Me A Coffee

Help Cyn’s Workshop improve and grow with a one-time donation. Donations go towards equipment, writing suppliments and giveaways to the bookish community.



#December #Reading #Wrap #Cyns #Workshop

Powered by Blogger.